Sunday, June 12, 2011

buzz on over for a honey of a baby shower

Like my play on words? Yeah... I thought so.

In the middle of March my beautiful new nephew was born.

baby jj

He is the third boy blessing of my brother's. He and his wife have been trying for a girl and have had a girl name picked out since their first boy was born nearly 10 years ago. Their first boy was mistaken for a girl during an ultrasound... and ever since then, they've had their hearts set on a girl. Not that they don't feel lucky to have their three boys!

Baby JJ was born a little early, and we were lucky to have thrown a shower just one week prior.

goodie bags
goodie bags

My mom and I had a lot of fun putting together this little shindig and I think the guests had a lot of fun, too! It wasn't a shower just for women; entire families were invited and even kids were allowed to participate in our food tasting contests, relays, and races. I was uber-busy playing hostess, so I wasn't able to take photos of the guests making fools of themselves playing games, but I assure you... it was a lot of fun!

table set up
gift table

My mom made the arrangement in the photo above. They are actually pens altered with silk flowers. This was a huge hit -- the arrangement was supposed to be a gift for the mom-to-be, however the other guests decided they liked them too much to allow that.

table set up 2
food table

I don't know if any of you have ever had Filipino food. If not, you sure are missing out on some yummy goodness. My mom made pretty much all the food at the party. We were all in Heaven.

cake
close up bee hive cake

There is a delicious Italian bakery that we frequently visit and always get our party cakes at. They created this gorgeous Bee Hive head cake especially for us. Some of the guests couldn't believe that it was a real cake. It didn't take long to convince them, though. Especially once we cut into it!

favor 2
favors

These adorable little favor boxes were made from the Tucked Away template and all contained gourmet chocolate. I used some Basic Grey patterned paper, Martha Stewart beehive brads, and doilies that I purchased at Miniature Sweet. To finish them off I wrapped them in baker's twine and yellow ric-rac. And of course, these little gifts would not be complete without tags.

favor 1
favor box close up


It's very difficult for me to complete any project without sewing on it somewhere.

diaper cake
cloth diaper cake

I didn't realize this until I was going through my photos on my computer at home: I didn't get a good photo of the cloth diaper cakes that I made. I made two of these and they were both different from each other. Both of my kiddos were cloth diapered and I finally converted a family member to use cloth -- so happy about this.

Hopefully we'll have more opportunities to throw baby showers... maybe even a girl-y one? (My daughter is the only grand-daughter on my side, so another girl would be welcomed!)

2 comments:

  1. What a neat idea for the bags and love the bee hive cake! Congrats on PI cant wait to create with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to creating with you, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete